Sun 25
Under 16s (Boys)
Unbeaten In Three!

Unbeaten In Three!

By Lee Brockway
Share via

Exmouth U16s 36 – 7 Plymstock

Buoyed by their first victory of the season on their last outing, the U16s started this game where they finished off last weekend. A loose ball inside the opposing half was gathered by Jules Green who fed Dan Armstrong and a certain try in the corner was only denied by a forward pass.
It wasn’t long however before Exmouth claimed their first points when from the base of a scrum won against the head, Rob Marshall playing at No8, picked up and powered his way over the line for a try.
A second try was to follow shortly afterwards. Out half Tom Cooke received a flat ball from a scrum and made a clever inside break before feeding Green who glided past a couple of opposing defenders to touch down under the posts. Armstrong successfully added the conversion to make the score 12 – 0 to the home team.
The Cockles failed to add any further points in the first half and indeed seemed to get on the wrong side of the referee on several occasions, conceding a number of penalties in the process and thus allowing Plymstock back into the game.
The second half began much in the same manner as the first when Dan Armstrong picked up the ball on the opposition 10 m line and broke a couple of tackles to score.
It wasn’t long before Exmouth further added to their try tally when Andrew Wheeler scored from a ruck close to the Plymstock line. Wheeler was once again to the fore when from the resultant restart he gathered the ball inside his own 10m line and ran more than half the length of the pitch fending off several defenders in the process to bag his second try of the game and take the score to 29 – 0.
The Plymstock lads didn’t let their heads go down and were only denied a try by some dogged defending on their own try line by Exmouth. However the pressure eventually told 25 mins into the second half when Plymstock scored a consolation try.
The game finished rather scrappily with both teams making some handling errors but Exmouth managed to have the last say when scrum half Adam Furneaux made a sniping break down the blindside of a scrum. Dan Armstrong was close at hand to take the ball and stretch over the line for the final try of the game. Armstrong successfully converted his own try from the touchline to make the final score 36 - 7

Share via

Match details

Match date

Sun 25, Jan 2015